Tuesday 19 May 2015

Can't We have Male Virgins?

So I was in the saloon the other day and there was this woman that just kept ranting (you know those "ladies of nowadays" rant) on how there are so many promiscuous runs girls around. I cared less, I was enjoying the cool ASA's song- Bibanke that was playing from the sound system in the saloon.

But I was listening to her rants with my second ear (Thank God for giving us two ears).  She went ahead to say that "all these gehs with tiny tiny legs have 'spoiled' you would hardly see a virgin amongst them" then she looked my way for some seconds and continued with her rants.

I was embarrassed but well I do not have 'tiny' legs. "she's not 'kuku' talking to me" "Abi am I the one?" I was still asking myself all these JAMB questions when she said one thing that got the attention of my two ears.

This was what she said "... Well I have told my son, he must impregnate his fiancee before I can give them my blessings"

I wanted to talk but I remembered what my mother taught me about table manners.

I just kept thinking about the whole thing then it dawned on me that it is not only mama V (okay that was the name I gave the woman) that taught that way.

That is how the society thinks. It is okay for men to be promiscuous- no one is really preaching to men to remain virgins till they get married, we don't really care about the number of women he had had sex with. "Well he's a guy, it is normal" we would say.

But the girls must remain virgins, if she is raped, it is her fault, we'd blamed it on the kind of dress she wore or the fact that she was walking alone at night when it happened. We'd definitely look for ways to blame it on the girl.

We seem to have forgotten that losing one's virginity is a team work (I can't have sex with myself). Same with rape and all.

If we want to raise good women, we should try to teach our boys the right thing to do too.

Maybe if we even shift the whole virgin talk to the guys and put more pressure on them to remain virgins, maybe we'd have more virgin Mary around.

But hey, what do I know, when was I born sef?

I'd love to hear your views though. Thank you for reading.

PS: I really pity those girls that think their virginity will make their husband respect more. I'm not saying you shouldn't 'keep' yourself (I don't really give a fug) but I really pity you if you go into any relationship or marriage with that mindset.


Hey I'm on twitter: @kaylahnotes  (hit the pursue follow button and I'd definitely follow you back)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, okay I am a guy...but I have thought about the same ish. Virginity Is kinda Over-rated.
    I mean, the whole keep-yourself preaching seems to be centered on females...and not the males, which is kinda flawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I'm trying to say. Virginity is over rated, especially here in Africa. And the whole "Gehs must be virgins whlie Boys can test run their tools as many times as possible" thing pisses me off. If you want to preach the virginity gospel, preach it to everybody(boys and gehs) Abegi!

      Delete